The Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Scholarship
The Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Scholarship provides scholarship dollars up to the amount of $2,500 to be used toward institutional charges beginning Fall Semester 2023. The award is split up into two separate disbursements. The following conditions apply:
- Recipients must be an African-American or Latino-American male to receive this award.
- Students must be a high school senior from Northwest Ohio (Toledo and surrounding areas)
- Recipients must be enrolled full-time to receive this award. (Students must provide enrollment verification from institution)
- Recipients must have a minimum GPA of 2.75 or higher to receive this award.
- Recipients must provide final grades after Fall Semester in order to receive disbursement of award in the Spring Semester 2023.
- Recipients must participate in an interview (invite only).
- Recipients must attend the 2023 MLK Scholarship Breakfast to receive the award.
- Recipients must participate in service and leadership activities in high school and in the community (please provide a separate sheet with extra-curricular activities and community service).
- Recipients must submit two (2) letters of recommendation which must be from non-family members such as a school counselor, teacher, pastor, or mentor.
- Applicants must respond in a short essay (500 words, double-spaced) to one of the two prompts:
a) Please reflect on the ideals and philosophies of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and how the applicant has attempted to emulate these qualities in their lives, especially now with current events and the current racial climate in the U.S.
b) Martin Luther King, Jr. during the Civil Rights Movement advocated that the best way to make changes in the law was through the use of civil disobedience. Civil disobedience is the act of refusing to comply with laws or the government to protest an injustice. MLK has always held that such protest must always be peaceful. But current community leaders argue that some destruction and violence is necessary for change. Argue for or against the following statement: “All acts of civil disobedience, even violent, is morally justifiable.”
Click here to download the scholarship application.
Applications must be postmarked no later than December 10, 2022
ALPHA PHI ALPHA
Alpha Xi Lambda Chapter
P.O. Box 351061
Toledo, OH 43635